Thursday, May 13, 2010

Be Happy, Eat Carbs

When it comes to my Diabetic Diet philosophy, I am going to agree with Socrates, "everything in moderation."
I like carbs, oh boy! do I like carbs; pasta, pizza, rice, pasta, bread, did I mention pasta? I figure as long as I know how the so called "evil" carb is going to affect my blood sugar numbers and I bolus appropriately then it is okay to eat. 


Yes, I understand bolusing it not an exact science and there will be times that a bolus that has worked 100 times before isn't going to work and i'll end up soaring in the 300's.  It is okay, one high blood sugar is not going to kill me! In fact a few high blood sugars now and then aren't going to kill me. 

In fact I think it is okay for a type 1 to eat whatever they want, like a non-diabetic person would, as long as they know the correct amount to bolus. Now please don't misunderstand me and think that I am condoning bad dietary habits. It is important to eat from all food groups. I like vegetables, I like fruit. I am not so keen on milk, but I get my dairy servings. The food pyramid is a good thing, follow it, it won't lead you astray. 

The bottom line is, I am not going to allow diabetes to define what I can and cannot eat. 

Stepping off my soapbox now. 

1 comment:

  1. A healthy diet is a healthy diet and is good for anyone, D or not. Everything in moderation is a theory we follow as well. We would follow it even if Caleb didn't have diabetes and he eats carbs, including pizza and pasta too. (and dang, is it awesome when you actually get the dosing right one those!)

    ReplyDelete