Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I am not a number

My value is not defined by any number; not my age, not the number on the scale, or the number on the tag of my clothes and most certainly not my A1c results.

I've seen so many posts recently in the DOC obsessing over A1c results. I understand, I do, this number tells you so much about how your diabetes is responding to "treatment." But, please hear me, it does not represent your skill as an artificial pancreas. 

That silly little number does not take into account the time and effort spent dealing with diabetes. The A1c doesn't know the difference between numbers that ping from 30-300 constantly or even "perfect" numbers.

I, for one will, not continue to allow this test result rule my life. Yes, I want to be healthy and I want my A1c to reflect that. However I am not going to quibble if I'am 6.5 or 7.8 or anywhere in between. Heck even an 8 is equal to running about 185mg/dl. 

The ADA recently did a study that correlates A1c results and Depression in Type 1 diabetes. You can read the report here. Basically they discovered that Type 1's who take good care of themselves are less depressed no matter what their A1c's are, but those Type 1's who slack off and don't bother with the in's and outs of diabetes management are depressed.

Interesting stuff......


No comments:

Post a Comment