Friday, November 5, 2010

Friends and Family Friday

Still attempting the ADA's 30 diabetes related posts for Diabetes month.




Friday, November 5 “Friends & Family Friday” – Research shows that diabetes has a genetic component: Who in your family or circle of friends has diabetes?


Actually I am the only one in my family with type 1 diabetes, but my paternal grandpa (who I miss very very much) was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. He ultimately ended up on insulin because he refused to change his diet. He ate dessert with every meal, snacked on candy and cakes and always "accidentally" bought regular root beer instead of diet. 


My youngest sister Miss S has autoantibodies that indicate a higher risk for being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. 


Since I have a thyroid condition in addition to type 1 diabetes that means that my children will also have a higher risk of being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.


Several of my family members have celiac disease which is closely linked to type 1 diabetes. 


So autoimmune-wise my family is a melting pot of disorders. 



No comments:

Post a Comment