Tuesday, November 16, 2010

CGM Tips and Tricks

First of all I use a Medtronic CGM, so I have no idea if any of these tips apply to Dexcom.


Tip 1 - During the 2 hour start up period if you get a sensor error, or two, or even three, just ignore them. In my experience 90% of the time at the end of the 2 hour start up, it will ask you to calibrate and work perfectly. No need to waste a sensor.

Tip 2 - I can't stand sticky stuff on my transmitter, but I need assistance in keeping the sensor in place for 3+ days. That is why I use Nexcare Tattoo Bandaids. They don't leave any residue and they have cute characters on them.

Tip 3 - I wear my sensors for longer than 3 days. The longest I've used on is 12 days. This however is against FDA and Medtronic's guidelines, so I do it at my own risk.

Tip 4 - Do not leave your transmitter on the charger for an extended period of time if you are not using it. Also if you are not using the transmitter, be sure to charge it every two weeks. If you do not the transmitter will die and you'll have to get a new one. Trust me.

I am sure there are more little tips, but this is all my brain is capable of right now, so I will update this post as I discover new tricks.

Just because I feel like sharing;

Pre-Skating BG - 167
Post Skating BG - 111

As if we needed more proof after the BIG Blue Test that exercise affects our numbers!

Have you seen this? It's kinda cool.

Medtronic's "M-Powered Concept Car" keeps a tab on your diabetes


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips, I had no idea about #2 and #4. I use Tegaderm to tape my sensors down, but I may have to try out the Nexcare Bandaids. I also had no idea the transmitter could die like that. I use mine all the time, but it's good to know in case I ever feel the need to take a long break.

    ReplyDelete