Sunday, November 6, 2011

About the Sensor

I took a nasty fall at the rink today while working on a backward outside to inside change of edge sequence. I hit my knee at first and then fell on my hip. Unfortunately I fell on the hip with the sensor site. 




About 15 minutes later Coach tells me "you're beeping." A quick glance at my pump, I've got a lost sensor alarm. Coach is uber concerned, so I explain;
"It's probably 1 of 2 things, either I bent the electrode under the skin when I fell or the transmitter popped off. Either way it's fixable and isn't life threatening, but I'd prefer it be the latter." 


Coach; "Why?" 


Me; "Well if the transmitter popped off, it means I just need to snap it back into place. If the electrode bent, then I will need to insert a new sensor and I really really hate doing that."


Coach; "Why?"


Me; "It's a long *** needle and it hurts!"


Coach; "Oh!"


After a few failed attempted to find the lost sensor, I gave up hope that it was the transmitter (although I hadn't actually looked to be sure the transmitter was still connected.)


When I got home from the rink, down came the transmitter as I peeled off my skating tights. I am so thankful I didn't have to insert a new sensor. 


But I do wish the connection was a little more sturdy, I hate being without the instant gratification of the sensor data. 




**I do use IV3000 over the sensor/transmitter to keep it in place, but I guess I am too rough on it!

1 comment:

  1. I used tagaderm tape over my sensor. It holds in place perfectly for 7 days. It is thicker and white so if you don't want it to be too obvious it might not work for you but I hated the IV 3000.

    ReplyDelete